Tuesday, November 6, 2012

staying up all night

I feel a whole new sense of helplessness watching the elections from Amman. Normally, on election day, I am a bit afraid, knowing that I can do nothing to affect the outcome at this point. Theoretically I could be driving people to polls, but that's about it.

Here, I've got nothing. That desperation that keeps us watching election coverage into the night? It'll keep me up until at least six in the morning (CA polls close 6am my time).

People hailing from all over the world wish me luck, reminding me of how crucial, exactly, American elections are to the entire globe. So somehow, both the enormity of the consequences and my total lack of control over them resonate on a new level.

I'm about to walk over to an election party, wearing an Obama button and carrying a toothpick American flag. It's all I've got.

Hoping for the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello friends, family and computer robots! Leave a message and I'll read it. If it's not spam, I'll make it visible to all.